The Cloning Vat

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Cloning Vat

40k Meetup Network

Dark Eldar Results: Blog Style

The Harbinger
    The Harbinger
    Admin

Dark Eldar Results: Blog Style Empty Re: Dark Eldar Results: Blog Style

Post  The Harbinger Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:01 am

1850 point Tournament List: Rough Draft

Urien Rakarth (190 points)

Ancient Haemonculus w/ Agonizer and Liquifier Gun (110 points)

8 Wracks w/ 1 Liquifier, Acoylte w/ Agonizer in a Raider w/ Flickerfields. (200 points)

8 Wracks w/ 1 Liquifier, Acoylte w/ Agonizer in a Raider w/ Flickerfields. (200 points)

9 Wyches w/ 1 hydra gauntlets and 1 shard net and impaler, 1 Hekatrex w/ Agonizer in a Raider with Flickerfields (220 points)

9 Wyches w/ 1 Hydra Gauntlet and 1 Shard Net, 1 Hekatrex w/ Agonizer in a Raider with Flickerfields (220 points)

3 Ravagers w/ Flickerfields and Night Shields (375 points)

So as you can see, there are a few points left to give in the army but not enough to buy a new unit. I can give upgrades to my HQ choices or . . . drop a Haemonculus and a wrack squad, upgrade the one Haemonculus to an Ancient Haemonculus and then add in another squad like bikes or Kalabite Trueborn. All in all, the list should still sport around 14 Dark Lances with maybe a few weapon upgrades in it. However, I'm pretty happy with the list as it stands and I doubt there are very many mech armies that can stand up to this. Although I think some haywire grenades may be an important addition.
    The Harbinger
    The Harbinger
    Admin

Post  The Harbinger Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:50 am

Tournament Results:

So, I tied for first going 4-1-0. Although I must say the one loss was a bit of luck on my opponents part (he seized the initiative against me and then got both Vendettas in on turn 2 from reserve). Speaking of, I had my opponents seize the initiative 3 out of the 4 games I rolled to go first.

Here are some lessons to be learned from the endeavor.

Flickerfields are a life saver but don't rely on them. Still move your skimmers behind cover whenever available as the difference between a 4+ and a 5+ save is huge. They are going to be spotty, but when they are on, they are on. In my third game I faced a 3 Long Fang Pack Space Wolf army and he couldn't kill one of my vehicles till turn 3, which got me across the board in one piece. However, against the IG player, I made one flickerfield save the entire game.

Wyches worked out exactly as I had planned. They either killed long range shooting units on turn one or they were able to tie down multiple squads long enough for my wracks to finish everything left on the table. In one game the Wyches held up 2 full terminator squads and a 5 man unit of marines. In another they held up two 6 man marine units and a 4 man unit of Thunder Wolves for 2 full rounds (4 combat phases). Otherwise, they were simply obliterating a unit per turn they were in combat. Also, try to make sure that they are always near cover when you charge so that you can consolidate into cover and not left hanging around to be shot up. This tactic worked well with my Raiders too. I always left the Raiders, at the end of their movement, near cover in case said Raider was destroyed. This meant the transported squad could bail out of the vehicle into cover and give me that oh, so needed cover save. However, never charge your Wyches into an IG blob without support . . . it didn't go well.

Wracks are definetly tough bastards. One wrack squad was able to stand toe-to-toe with a 41 man IG blob and actually kill every last one of them (it just took 7 combat phases and I lost half the squad). But, when Wracks bounce, they bounce. While most of the time the squad could handle any unit 1v1, they are totally unforgiving if you have one bad round of wounding with the Agonizer. Also, the Liquifiers were a little less reliable than I was hoping even with a 50 percent chance to ignore power armor. That might have been bad luck and I'll have to get a few more games in. Also, they need to get the charge off from what I have seen. But all-in-all they preformed fairly nicely and even were able to absorb massive amounts of firepower before dying.

The Ravagers were kind of a wash as I didn't face vehicle heavy armies. Although, they are great against terminators and Big Bugs. In fact, in the last game for the finals, I didn't lose a single model in my army against a Tyranid player. I dropped a 6 wound, toughness 6 monstrosity in round one and then his hive tyrant and the doom in round two. That pretty much spelled the end of his list as Termagaunts and Hormagaunts can't stand up to wracks or Wyches.

Having said that there are a few things to be learned. If you don't have to get into combat . . .don't. Let your Dark Lances do the work for you and only get out to deal with threats your vehicles can't handle (which is what I did that last game). Second, Wyches might be one of the most resilient hand to hand combat units in the game, and at only 10 points a model are an absolute steal. If you don't get turn 1, then seriously think about starting your army in reserve. Your vehicles can still get there anyway and they won't die before you have a chance to move or fire them. Realize that Wyches have the chance to charge 24 inches in one turn meaning you can be 36" across the table your first go. While this is nice and sometimes necessary, don't expect them to live much longer unless you can get them on a flank.

Well, that's it for installment one, I have another tournament on the 19th and we'll see how it goes.
    The Harbinger
    The Harbinger
    Admin

Dark Eldar Results: Blog Style Empty Dark Eldar Results: Blog Style

Post  The Harbinger Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:42 am

Recently, I've decided to start a Dark Eldar army after playing Imperial Guard for the last eight years. I'ld looked at Space Wolves but so many people suddenly started playing them that it didn't interest me. I'ld looked at Blood Angels (as they have long been my favorite Space Marine Chapter) but I simply didn't like the codex and felt pigeon holed into playing one of two lists. Neither of which I thought would be very fun for me or my opponent. Then the Dark Eldar "greens" were released and decided that the new models were simply too pretty for me not to play and flex a little bit of proverbial painting muscle. Having said that, this will be an ongoing blog of sorts about my exploits with the new codex.

After looking the codex over, I really decided that I wanted to focus on two units over anything else: Wracks and Wyches. So, I think for a while, you guys will be reading about my exploits, lessons, and thoughts over armies that focus on these two squads. For lack of a better word, my initial reports will focus on a Coven List that centers on Wracks and Haemonculi with Wyches in a more supporting role. Wyches are my fast, in your face, expendable and hold them down unit while my wracks are designed to hold objectives and grind units down with their toughness, FNP, and poisoned attacks. Everything should still be fast as that's the Dark Eldar's major asset so the list still requires Raider spam. The HQs are designed to spread around Pain Tokens and help make the wracks a Troop choice from the force org. chart. I am going to a 1000 point tournament this weekend using this idea as my basic strategy. Here's my list:

HQ:
    Haemonculus w/ Liquifier Gun, Agonizer and Casket of Flensing.

Troops:
    8 Wracks w/ 1 Liquifier Gun, 1 Acolyte w/ Agonizer in a Raider with Flickerfield

9 Wracks w/ 2 Liquifier Guns, 1 Acolyte w/ Agonizer in a Raider with Flickerfield

9 Wyches w/ 2 Hydra Gauntles and haywire grenades, 1 Hekatrex w/ Agonizer in a Raider with Flickerfield

Heavies:
    2 Ravagers w/ Flickerfields and Night Shields.

So each of the wrack units starts with at least one pain token (the 9 man squad will have 2 because of the Haemonculus). This means that they will all have feel no pain and should give them a little bit of a combat advantage as only strength 8+, a few weapons and a few special rules will deny them a second chance at life. The HQ squad will also have double agonizers which I am hoping will help me deal with some terminator squads if I see any at the tournament. Also, the liquifier guns should soften up enemy units before the charge and do have the ability to ignore FNP and terminator/power armor saves. The wyches are my fast unit. While they don't start the game with feel no pain they can charge on turn one, pump out a massive volume of attacks and have a 4+ invulnerable save in close combat. Their job is to take out serious ranged firepower and to tie up units so that my wracks can isolate units in combat. Also, the haywire grenades give them a good chance at vehicle popping which I shouldn't need except against Monoliths and Black Templar Land Raiders. The Ravagers are there for nothing more than vehicle killing and taking out terminators and a handful of other squads/ big creatures that may prove too much with for my infantry units. Although most big creatures should still have a hard time dealing with the wracks because of the agonizers and the poisoned attacks (For example, the HQ squad throws 8 power weapon attacks that wound anything on a 4+ and 24 poisoned attacks on the turn they charge). The raiders give me serious mobility and a little extra firepower.

I'll let you know how it did and my thoughts on it after the tournament.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content